Sunday, August 22, 2010
Pete’s Fish & Chips
In 1947, with only $900 to his name, Pete Grant rented a piece of land for $20 near 31st and Van Buren Streets in Phoenix and opened Pete’s Fish & Chips restaurant. He made $12 profit his first day and eventually grew the business into a chain of 8 locations across the Valley.
This is a photo of the back of Pete’s Fish & Chips in Tolleson. The Tolleson restaurant was the second location opened and is the third highest grossing of the eight but the oldest original building. Plans are being made to replace this building with a new, larger building which will have 40 picnic tables instead of four, go from 10 parking spots to 40 and almost double the number of fry cookers.
The future renovation will be called Ruth Walden Super Pete’s in honor of Ruth Walden who worked as a manager at Pete’s for 57 years and died this past May at the age of 79. She loved the place so much that she asked to be buried in the restaurant's shirt and jacket and asked that people wear the same to her funeral.