Friday, April 23, 2010

Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station




This is one of the three generating units at the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station located about 45 miles west of Phoenix (and the place that has monopolized most of my time in the past six months). It is currently the largest nuclear generation facility in the United States. Nuclear plants require a lot of water and are often located adjacent to a large body of above-ground water. What makes this plant in the desert unique is that it uses treated sewage of several nearby cities to meet its cooling needs.

Photos are not allowed on site so I had to take this from inside the car on Wintersburg Road.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow...I learn something new everyday. You guys have worked there forever and I don't think I ever knew about the plant using sewage for their water needs...That's...great. :0) xxoo

Thérèse said...

Security around this place can easily be understood. I prefer the ponds in Chandler and Gilbert which recycle grey waters and bring wild life to the area... lol.
But at the same time we need electricity. Dilemma to reflect on.
Great picture.

Brian Miller said...

that actually pretty cool way for them to recycle the sewage that way...

Judy said...

I didn't know about the recycled water either. That's great.

Sharon said...

I've only seen this from I 10. This is a much better view.