Monday, February 1, 2010

N is for Nasturtium


You know when you go to those silly home parties and everyone has to go around the room saying their name and the name of a flower that starts with the same letter? Well mine was always "My name is Nancy and I like nasturtiums." I didn't even know what they looked like until years later. Now I love this flower and this is the first blossom of the year! You can entertain a kid for hours by putting water on the leaves. It beads up like mercury and rolls around. The blossoms are edible (although I never have - eaten them, I mean).

1 comment:

Kathy said...

It's one of my favorite flowers too and I have eaten them! The leaves are also edible. A couple leaves and a blossom make a beautiful garnish on a salad. They are very peppery tasting, similar to arugula.